High quality paper is being produced in Pakistan and also exported. According to the newspaper Dawn, there was no paper production unit when we gained independence in 1947.
For the last 53 years paper industry has seen its boom and has proven to be successful. It is catering to 80 per cent paper needs of the country.
The paper manufacturers in Pakistan are producing different and many grades of paper. These include high quality paper for printing and writing to not low grade papers like the ones used for printing newspapers. Paper manufacturers in Pakistan produce approximately 460,000 tons of paper annually.
Before we discuss high quality paper and list the best paper manufacturers of Pakistan it is imperative to talk about the problems paper manufacturers in Pakistan are facing. As we know that basic components used in the making of paper is wood pulp. The density of forests is really low in Pakistan and the deforestation is at a rapid pace because of this the accessibility to steady wood supplies is conditional.
According to Dawn.com
“Pulp production in Pakistan is therefore based on non-wood fibrous material like wheat straw, bagasse and river grass”
90 per cent or above non wood pulp for paper production are made by mixing river grass and wheat straws. This mixture is then enhanced by mixing it with wood pulp and or recycled paper.
What is high quality paper?
A good grade paper or high quality paper is made up of pulp. A high quality paper includes printing papers like inkjet, Kraft paper, cartridge paper, greeting cards, photo printing quality paper and bond paper.
There are few things to be considered while grading the paper, for example; the look and feel of the paper, the texture and weight. Papers are defined determined by grades and weight basis. There are seven types or grades of printing paper.
- Bristol; coated.
- Index; smooth surface and uncoated, can be used for file folders.
- Tag; smooth surface used for tickers and folders.
- Bond paper; used for letterheads and business forms
- Books; these can be coated and uncoated
- Cover; for example book covers and business cards.
- Text, this is high quality paper available in selection of colours and surfaces.
Paper manufacturers in Pakistan
We are listing few of the best paper manufactures in Pakistan.
- Sadiq Paper and Mills PVT LTD have hired qualified and highly skilful employees to run this company. This is the reason why the company manufactures high quality paper, paper boards and related products.
They have a modern and high tech plant which is cost effective and the production is high. Sadiq Paper is producing quality paper for over two decades now.
The best thing about this company is that they are passionate about saving the environment.
“The Vision of Sadiq Paper product is to be the leading national source for environmentally responsible, economically sound paper. We supply paper with the greatest environmental benefit while meeting the business needs of our customers. Our goal is to inspire — through our success — a fundamental shift toward environmental responsibility in the paper industry”
- Century Paper and Board Mills Limited is part of Lakson Group of Companies. It was established in 1984 but the commercial production started in 1990. Their plant consists of seven paper machines, integrated pulp mills and chemical house etc.
Their products include coated papers, uncoated papers, MF and MG paper and corrugated boxes.
- Sayid Paper Mills was started as mini mill on 1960s and is a family business. In 1994 the recent mill’s site was chosen. They produce various grades of paper. In 2000 they became the prime grade paper manufacturers in Pakistan and by year 2001 the manufacturers of newsprint.
- Shaheen Paper Mill was built in 2000. They produce high quality papers including A plus papers, high bright and other grades of paper.
- Roshan_SunTao paper Mills LTD is the product of CPEC. It is a new comer in the industry. They started this project in 2016. They strive to produce paper from recycled products. According to them they are all about saving the environment. This is what their website says;
“Every ton of paper recycled would conserve and protect the following resources:
- 17 trees
- 275 pounds of sulphur
- 350 lbs. of limestone
- 9,000 lbs. of steam
- 60,000 gallons of water
- 225 kilowatt hours
- 3 cubic yards of landfill space”